NVFP Presents: New Approaches to Weight Loss – Targeting The Endocrinology of Weight Management With Injectable Medications
It’s hard to scroll through the news these days without hearing about the latest injectable weight loss medications. These medications (such as Wegovy, Ozempic, and other similar drugs) are extremely popular right now. But do they really work? Are they safe? And how do I know if this medication is right for me?
Join Dr. Cecily Havert and special guest, endocrinologist, and weight loss specialist, Dr. Domenica Rubino from the Washington Center for Weight Management for an in-depth discussion about the newest injectable weight loss medications.
- 0:12 – 2:01 – Dr. Cecily Havert begins the town hall event by introducing and providing a brief background on her guest, endocrinologist, and weight loss specialist, Dr. Domenica Rubino.
- 2:10 – 6:49 – Dr. Rubino begins her presentation by sharing a few disclosures, along with a brief overview of obesity including important aspects she looks at when treating a patient, the multiple medical issues associated with obesity, and more.
- 7:00 – 11:19 – As Dr. Rubino states, “We need to have realistic expectations because – as you’ll see – it is very difficult. There are things we control and many things we do not control. We may have some control over our environment, but we don’t control our genetics.”
- 11:25 – 18:15 – Dr. Rubino shares a diagram of the brain and explains how the brain is doing a balancing act. She then explains how there is a very strong genetic predisposition to where you are in a spectrum of weight to where you might be susceptible.
- 18:20 – 20:08 – “I’ve lost weight several times, but I just can’t maintain it all, right? And every time I regain, sometimes I’m even higher than I was before. For many of you, this may resonate with you, and this is not uncommon. This is because of the physiology of that drive.” Dr. Rubino explains what happens to our bodies after weight loss.
- 21:03 – 25:20 – “So what is the deal with pharmacotherapy?” Dr. Rubino states that we know that when you target pharmacotherapy using medication and lifestyle changes, those things together actually result in the most weight loss.
- 26:24 – 35:42 – Dr. Rubino shows slides with information regarding GLP-1 Agonist medications, such as liraglutide and semaglutide. “Because of the response to food, it signals a response to insulin to help deal with the food. So it has a gut response and brain action.”
- 35:50 – 36:30 – As Dr. Rubino states, “Those that use medication along with regular exercise were able to achieve higher percentages of weight loss.”
- 36:35 – 46:16 – Dr. Rubino shares information on Wegovy, including the fact that it is approved for obesity. She shares the significance of the medication, how it works, its side effects, and more.
- 47:35 – 1:05:02 – Dr. Havert opens the floor for questions from the audience. Dr. Havert then closes the town hall event by thanking Dr. Rubino for her time and the information.