NVFP Presents: Understanding POTS: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome
Join Dr. Cecily Havert and Dr. Maria Castillo-Catoni as they sit down with Dr. Dara Lee Lewis from Lown Cardiology Group for a conversation regarding Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) and Dysautonomia.
- 0:24 – 2:22 – Dr. Cecily Havert begins the town hall event with a few housekeeping items, and introduces her co-host, Dr. Maria Castillo-Catoni, as well as their guest, Dr. Dara Lee Lewis from Lown Cardiology Group.
- 2:22 – 4:24 – Dr. Lee Lewis begins her presentation by stating that everyone is unique, and symptoms may be different from case-to-case. Be sure to talk to your medical provider with questions relating to your own personal condition.
- 4:30 – 9:56 – What is POTS? How do I know if I have POTS? Dr. Lee Lewis dives deeper into symptoms of POTS, how it happens, and more.
- 11:05 – 15:10 – Dr. Lee Lewis explains the three different “subtypes” of POTS: Hyperadrenergic, Neuropathic, and Volume Dysregulation, while also explaining the symptoms of each subtype.
- 16:10 – 21:50 – “What should happen when we stand up? Our heart rate should go up a little bit to raise our blood pressure and the blood vessels, the veins in our legs should constrict a little bit. And even though we’re standing upright, our blood pressure should stay stable and the blood pressure to our brain should stay stable. But in POTS, several of these things go wrong.”
- 23:01 – 25:36 – How do you test for POTS? Dr. Lee Lewis explains the multiple methods of testing for POTS she uses.
- 26:25 – 33:08 – Dr. Lee Lewis discusses treatment methods used for POTS, explaining how she always starts with suggesting lifestyle changes such as adding salt to the diet, compression to help circulation, and regular exercise.
- 35:15 – 40:41 – Dr. Lee Lewis wraps up her presentation giving final thoughts and provides extra reading material attendees can view for more information.
- 41:33 – 58:15 – Q&A with Dr. Lee Lewis, facilitated by Dr. Havert and Dr. Castillo-Catoni.
Contact Information for our Speakers:
Dr. Dara Lee Lewis:
- Website: womenscardiology.org
- Twitter: @daraleelewismd
- Book: “Together We Stand: Riding the Waves of Dysautonomia” by Jodi Epstein Rhum
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology: Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome Focus Seminar