NVFP Presents: Want to be a Good Ally? Practice Cultural Humility
- 0:18 – 2:46 – Dr. Cecily Havert begins the town hall event by introducing the topic, “Want to be a Good Ally? Practice Cultural Humility”, reads the NVFP mission statement, and briefly introduces the panelists, Timothy Elliott, Julian R. Harris, and Will O’Donnell.
- 2:50 – 6:29 – Timothy, Julian, and Will introduce themselves further and express their excitement to join such an important conversation.
- 6:40 – 8:43 – Dr. Havert opens two poll questions for attendees to answer to kick off the conversation.
- 8:50 – 13:55 – What does PRIDE month mean to you? The panel opens the conversation by each providing why PRIDE month is important, and what it means to the LGBTQIA+ community.
- 14:26 – 20:37 – “I think it’s important to recognize that the kindness that you can show to a person may be the only kindness that they’ve had that day, that week, that month, that year.” The panel discusses the importance of being a good ally, and what being a good ally looks like.
- 20:41 – 24:53 – The panel offers their perspectives on why PRIDE month is important for the greater community – “For the general populace to recognize that we are trying to help people and raise their voices and build a better place for the generations to come is, I’d say, the most important part.”
- 25:00 – 33:49 – What is “cultural humility?” How can we practice cultural humility? The panel discusses how being aware of biases and trying to understand other perspectives helps perpetuate cultural humility.
- 34:00 – 38:30 – The panel discusses how empathy and understanding their biases is the foundation for what they do – being able to connect and make their patients feel heard, seen, and safe is vital.
- 39:15 – 44:08 – How have things changed in the last 20, 30 years? What can we do to continue to support the LGBTQIA+ community going forward? The panel offers their thoughts on where we’ve been, and where we’re going.
- 45:25 – 59:53 – The panel wraps up the conversation by answering the multiple questions from our attendees, and Dr. Havert thanks the panelists for their time, and shares the next NVFP town hall.
Contact Information for our Speakers:
Timothy Elliott – Email: [email protected], Phone: (301) 679-5785
Julian R. Harris – Email: [email protected], Phone: (202) 335-3119