- Can We Co-Exist with COVID-19? October 12, 2020Continue Reading
An Epidemiologist Separates Fact from Fiction and Offers Hope for the Future
Epidemiologists seek to learn why, how and when some people contract diseases when others don’t. Their findings are used to help monitor public health status, develop new medical treatments and disease prevention efforts, ...
- Let It Go: The Ancient Art of Meditation October 12, 2020Continue Reading
Finding Peace Through Mindfulness and Meditation
Mindful, compassionate, serene, happy: emotions that have been in short supply during the pandemic but can be beautifully restored to those who embrace the chance to learn the time- honored practice and art of meditation. For many, it ...
- How Red Meat Went from Taboo to Acceptable and Back Again October 12, 2020Continue Reading
What’s the Beef With Red Meat?
It’s long been the case that provocative headlines, unexpected findings and misinformation travel far faster than conventional wisdom, especially in the internet age. Even respected medical journals like the Annals of Internal Medicine can become caught in ...
- An Ounce of Prevention MD – “A Different Way to Calm Your Mind- Micromeditation” September 15, 2020Continue Reading
I’m sure you’ve heard about the benefits of meditation, and probably had someone suggest you try it. Meditation is touted to help relieve stress, anxiety and depression, and improve attention, memory, sleep and energy. I’ve heard this mantra (cue “groan”) for years, but ...
- An Ounce of Prevention MD – Why You Might Want to Still Stay Home After A Negative COVID Test August 18, 2020Continue Reading
An Ounce of Prevention M.D.
Why You Might Want to Still Stay Home After A Negative COVID Test
As an internist, I’ve been fielding a lot of COVID-related questions lately. ...
- Exercise is the best medicine! July 30, 2020Continue Reading
Exercise is the best medicine!
Have you ever been asked to do something and been caught completely off guard? Despite knowing that physical fitness improves health and makes us feel better, many people in my exam rooms look at me quizzically when we discuss exercise. There was sometimes disbelief in their eyes or sometimes ...
- Be Well, Virginia Town Hall: Featuring Robyn Brickel, MA, LMFT and Francine Ronis, LPC July 28, 2020
- An Ounce of Prevention MD – My Aching Head July 22, 2020Continue Reading
An Ounce of Prevention M.D.
My Aching Head
Do you suffer from headaches? Chances are pretty good that you do, since more than half of adults get headaches at least once ...
- Coronavirus Vaccine: Expert Says, ‘We Need Time to Get This Right’ July 7, 2020Continue Reading
Expert Calls for Slow & Steady Approach in Vaccine Development
While the race to develop a coronavirus vaccine may seem as if it’s being run in slow motion, with most experts predicting ...
- Superfoods and Your Immune System July 7, 2020Continue Reading
Food for Thought: Nourishing the Immune System
As football coaches and nutritionists know, the best offense is a good defense. In the fight against COVID-19, the promise of boosting the immune system with specific ‘superfoods’ ...
- An Ounce of Prevention MD – My Aching Head July 22, 2020